This week 30 years ago: Girl dragged and attacked by two men in Holloway – and witnesses do nothing
- Credit: Archant
A furious mum blasted passers-by who stood and watched as her daughter was attacked.
People were enjoying sunshine in parkland near the girl’s home in Berriman Road, Holloway, when two men leapt and attacked the 17-year-old.
They dragged her screaming to the back of Sobell Leisure Centre, in Hornsey Road, where they threatened her and struck her in the face. Eventually she managed to run for help at Holloway Police Station.
Her mum, Nadia Griffiths, returned to the park the following day to find witnesses. One man said he saw the assault – “but did not want to get involved”.
And angry Nadia said: “My daughter is now frightened to go out. One day these people will shout for help and no one will come.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Islinton South and Finsbury MP Chris Smith was confident he would win the vote of Liberal members in the forthcoming general election.
He declared: “They say my record in the Commons is one they would want to vote for.”
- 1 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 2 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 3 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Islington's John Ryder heads to Texas for big fight
- 6 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 7 Arsenal midfielder Jill Roord reported to be on Wolfsburg's radar
- 8 Row over ‘underhanded’ approach derails Amazon Fresh store opening
- 9 Highbury restaurant joins 'recipes against racism' campaign
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?