This week 30 years ago: Girl dragged and attacked by two men in Holloway – and witnesses do nothing
- Credit: Archant
A furious mum blasted passers-by who stood and watched as her daughter was attacked.
People were enjoying sunshine in parkland near the girl’s home in Berriman Road, Holloway, when two men leapt and attacked the 17-year-old.
They dragged her screaming to the back of Sobell Leisure Centre, in Hornsey Road, where they threatened her and struck her in the face. Eventually she managed to run for help at Holloway Police Station.
Her mum, Nadia Griffiths, returned to the park the following day to find witnesses. One man said he saw the assault – “but did not want to get involved”.
And angry Nadia said: “My daughter is now frightened to go out. One day these people will shout for help and no one will come.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Islinton South and Finsbury MP Chris Smith was confident he would win the vote of Liberal members in the forthcoming general election.
He declared: “They say my record in the Commons is one they would want to vote for.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 4 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 5 Letters: Environment and tenants' manifesto
- 6 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 7 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 8 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 9 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 10 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate