This week 30 years ago: Islington South and Finsbury MP Chris Smith offers to be a hostage on hijacked Kuwaiti plane
- Credit: Archant
Islington South and Finsbury MP Chris Smith offered himself as a “swap” for hostages on a hijacked Kuwaiti airliner.
He was caught up in a hostage crisis at the end of a four-day visit to Cyprus. The MP was standing on the tarmac in Larnaca airport, waiting to board his return flight, when the hijacked airliner appeared.
Chris was with four other MPs and made the amazing offer to Cypriot authorities. He told the Gazette: “I did suggest they should negotiate a swap of all hostages for the British MPs – but I’m heartily glad it never came to that.”
The hostage crisis lasted 15 days. Two Kuwaiti nationals were shot dead.
In other news, an Archway arsonist caused chaos by starting five fires in the space of an hour.
The worst blaze was in a storeroom underneath flats in the Miranda Estate. Thankfully, no one was injured in the rampage between 2am and 3am.
Police arrested a man but released him after questioning.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 3 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 4 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 7 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 8 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 9 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 10 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis