This week 30 years ago: Islington South and Finsbury MP Chris Smith offers to be a hostage on hijacked Kuwaiti plane
- Credit: Archant
Islington South and Finsbury MP Chris Smith offered himself as a “swap” for hostages on a hijacked Kuwaiti airliner.
He was caught up in a hostage crisis at the end of a four-day visit to Cyprus. The MP was standing on the tarmac in Larnaca airport, waiting to board his return flight, when the hijacked airliner appeared.
Chris was with four other MPs and made the amazing offer to Cypriot authorities. He told the Gazette: “I did suggest they should negotiate a swap of all hostages for the British MPs – but I’m heartily glad it never came to that.”
The hostage crisis lasted 15 days. Two Kuwaiti nationals were shot dead.
In other news, an Archway arsonist caused chaos by starting five fires in the space of an hour.
You may also want to watch:
The worst blaze was in a storeroom underneath flats in the Miranda Estate. Thankfully, no one was injured in the rampage between 2am and 3am.
Police arrested a man but released him after questioning.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?