This week 30 years ago: Janet Street-Porter in bizarre row with Islington Council
- Credit: Archant
TV personality Janet Street-Porter was pleading with Islington Council to move a lamp-post – so she didn’t miss out on her beauty sleep.
Architects supervising the conversion of her luxury home in Britton Street, Finsbury, claimed the lamp-post would be of “permanent nuisance to our client’s sleep”.
But the town hall refused to be cowed. It claimed that removing the post would cause road safety issues.
Cllr Chris King said: “Now she’s got a designer house, she wants a good street lamp to go with it. I’m afraid we can’t accommodate Ms Street-Porter’s request.”
Meanwhile, a man was jailed for three-and-a-half years for setting fire to his ex-girlfriend’s flat.
You may also want to watch:
Welder Kim Lafrensis poured petrol through the woman’s letterbox after they broke up. Thankfully, she and her two children managed to escape from the flat in York Way Court. Lafrensis was convicted of arson.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school