This week 30 years ago: Labour councillors quit in row, Reillys curfew in Westbourne Road, Gillian Taylforth does bingo
- Credit: Archant
Two Islington councillors left the town hall’s ruling Labour group in a blazing row over rent and rate increases.
Margaret Hodge’s councillors approved two £3 rent hikes over the financial year.
Leaders blocked moves by rebel Labour members to debate the proposal, leading Cllrs Dave Barnes and Diana Coles to quit.
“They’ve treated us outrageously,” Cllr Barnes said.
Meanwhile, licensing chiefs imposed a curfew on late-night drinking club Reillys in Westbourne Road, Holloway.
You may also want to watch:
Islington Council ordered it to close at 1am rather than 2am after noise complaints.
Furious owner John Reilly said he would appeal: “This has been my livelihood for the last 12 years.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 7 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 8 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 9 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 10 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
In other news, EastEnders star Gillian Taylforth (Kathy Beale in the soap) delighted fans Phyllis Cullen and Kay Carroll when she hosted bingo at the Top Rank Club in Caledonian Road.