This week 30 years ago: Labour councillors quit in row, Reillys curfew in Westbourne Road, Gillian Taylforth does bingo
- Credit: Archant
Two Islington councillors left the town hall’s ruling Labour group in a blazing row over rent and rate increases.
Margaret Hodge’s councillors approved two £3 rent hikes over the financial year.
Leaders blocked moves by rebel Labour members to debate the proposal, leading Cllrs Dave Barnes and Diana Coles to quit.
“They’ve treated us outrageously,” Cllr Barnes said.
Meanwhile, licensing chiefs imposed a curfew on late-night drinking club Reillys in Westbourne Road, Holloway.
You may also want to watch:
Islington Council ordered it to close at 1am rather than 2am after noise complaints.
Furious owner John Reilly said he would appeal: “This has been my livelihood for the last 12 years.”
- 1 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 2 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 3 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 4 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 5 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 6 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 New 'ethical' Deliveroo-style service coming to Islington
- 10 Letters: Holloway Prison site development
In other news, EastEnders star Gillian Taylforth (Kathy Beale in the soap) delighted fans Phyllis Cullen and Kay Carroll when she hosted bingo at the Top Rank Club in Caledonian Road.