This week 30 years ago: Labour councillors quit in row, Reillys curfew in Westbourne Road, Gillian Taylforth does bingo
- Credit: Archant
Two Islington councillors left the town hall’s ruling Labour group in a blazing row over rent and rate increases.
Margaret Hodge’s councillors approved two £3 rent hikes over the financial year.
Leaders blocked moves by rebel Labour members to debate the proposal, leading Cllrs Dave Barnes and Diana Coles to quit.
“They’ve treated us outrageously,” Cllr Barnes said.
Meanwhile, licensing chiefs imposed a curfew on late-night drinking club Reillys in Westbourne Road, Holloway.
You may also want to watch:
Islington Council ordered it to close at 1am rather than 2am after noise complaints.
Furious owner John Reilly said he would appeal: “This has been my livelihood for the last 12 years.”
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 3 Finsbury Park drugs misuse centre put into special measures
- 4 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 6 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 7 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 8 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 9 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 10 Music production school leaves Abbey Road for move to Angel Studios
In other news, EastEnders star Gillian Taylforth (Kathy Beale in the soap) delighted fans Phyllis Cullen and Kay Carroll when she hosted bingo at the Top Rank Club in Caledonian Road.