This week 5 years ago: Newington Green shopkeeper knifed in head by robbers
- Credit: Archant
A Newington Green shopkeeper was left fighting for his life after being knifed by robbers.
Ashok Patel, 64, was wounded in the head and chest as three thugs raided his shop, Lena Supermarket in Ferntower Road.
Recovering from his injuries at home, Mr Patel told the Gazette he was overwhelmed by the help and support of his community – including Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn.
Recalling the incident, Ashok said: “When I saw the knife I was very scared. As I lay on the floor bleeding, for a minute I thought I was finished.
“When I got the energy to get up and go outside, there were lots of local people. Everyone was really helpful. They called my family and sat me down until the ambulance came.”
You may also want to watch:
Heroic Ashok would later that year give evidence against his tormentors at their hearings at Inner London Crown Court.
Troy Mangal, Ibrahim Jama and Yousef Musa were convicted and given jail sentences between 10 and 12 years.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years