This week 5 years ago: Newington Green shopkeeper knifed in head by robbers
- Credit: Archant
A Newington Green shopkeeper was left fighting for his life after being knifed by robbers.
Ashok Patel, 64, was wounded in the head and chest as three thugs raided his shop, Lena Supermarket in Ferntower Road.
Recovering from his injuries at home, Mr Patel told the Gazette he was overwhelmed by the help and support of his community – including Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn.
Recalling the incident, Ashok said: “When I saw the knife I was very scared. As I lay on the floor bleeding, for a minute I thought I was finished.
“When I got the energy to get up and go outside, there were lots of local people. Everyone was really helpful. They called my family and sat me down until the ambulance came.”
You may also want to watch:
Heroic Ashok would later that year give evidence against his tormentors at their hearings at Inner London Crown Court.
Troy Mangal, Ibrahim Jama and Yousef Musa were convicted and given jail sentences between 10 and 12 years.
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 5 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 6 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 7 Walk with a map
- 8 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 9 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 10 Can you help identify this man?