This week 60 years ago: Drunk steals bus in Holloway Road, crashes into bomb site
- Credit: Archant
A drunk bus conductor illegally got behind the wheel of a double decker bus and crashed it on a bomb site after driving several miles.
The 22-year-old, of Pemberton Gardens, Upper Holloway, had finished his shift when he got an urge to drive the bus in Holloway Road.
He crashed into a stationary taxi, doing £46 of damage, before continuing to Rotherhithe, south-east London, and crashing into the bomb site.
The man was fined £10 and put on probation for a year. Magistrate Frank Milton told him at Highbury Corner: “Driving a bus when drunk is about as dangerous a thing as one could possibly imagine.
“It is not all that strange an impulse because most of us rather fancy ourselves as driving a bus. But we don’t yield to the fancy, fortunately for the population at large.
You may also want to watch:
“You will clearly have to pull yourself together. I don’t think at the moment you ought to take out any vehicle, least of all a bus.
“Yor impulse has got to be controlled.”
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 7 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 10 Elthorne Pride community group's back-to-school initiative