This week 60 years ago: Drunk steals bus in Holloway Road, crashes into bomb site
- Credit: Archant
A drunk bus conductor illegally got behind the wheel of a double decker bus and crashed it on a bomb site after driving several miles.
The 22-year-old, of Pemberton Gardens, Upper Holloway, had finished his shift when he got an urge to drive the bus in Holloway Road.
He crashed into a stationary taxi, doing £46 of damage, before continuing to Rotherhithe, south-east London, and crashing into the bomb site.
The man was fined £10 and put on probation for a year. Magistrate Frank Milton told him at Highbury Corner: “Driving a bus when drunk is about as dangerous a thing as one could possibly imagine.
“It is not all that strange an impulse because most of us rather fancy ourselves as driving a bus. But we don’t yield to the fancy, fortunately for the population at large.
You may also want to watch:
“You will clearly have to pull yourself together. I don’t think at the moment you ought to take out any vehicle, least of all a bus.
“Yor impulse has got to be controlled.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?