This week 60 years ago: Drunk steals bus in Holloway Road, crashes into bomb site
- Credit: Archant
A drunk bus conductor illegally got behind the wheel of a double decker bus and crashed it on a bomb site after driving several miles.
The 22-year-old, of Pemberton Gardens, Upper Holloway, had finished his shift when he got an urge to drive the bus in Holloway Road.
He crashed into a stationary taxi, doing £46 of damage, before continuing to Rotherhithe, south-east London, and crashing into the bomb site.
The man was fined £10 and put on probation for a year. Magistrate Frank Milton told him at Highbury Corner: “Driving a bus when drunk is about as dangerous a thing as one could possibly imagine.
“It is not all that strange an impulse because most of us rather fancy ourselves as driving a bus. But we don’t yield to the fancy, fortunately for the population at large.
You may also want to watch:
“You will clearly have to pull yourself together. I don’t think at the moment you ought to take out any vehicle, least of all a bus.
“Yor impulse has got to be controlled.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 8 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington