This week 60 years ago: Finsbury Park woman behind on rent kills herself
- Credit: Archant
A Finsbury Park woman who faced a court hearing over rent owed to her landlord took her own life, an inquest heard.
Kathleen Gates, of Gloucester Drive, was found dead in her gas filled room on the day she was scheduled to appear at the court.
The coroner heard how Ms Gates had £70 (the equivalent of £1,500 in today’s terms) in rent arrears against her.
Her brother, Septimus, told St Pancras Coroner’s Court: “She kept her affairs to herself. By her demeanour I did not think the court hearing was pressing her.”
But coroner W. Purchase concluded: “I have no doubt that she became overcome by her position and took her own life.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, a Cally mechanic was killed after the car he was working on fell on top of him.
John Ashman, 54, was removing a shackle pin from the vehicle outside his Gifford Street home.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
A police vehicle examiner found the car fell as he didn’t use a spreader to retain the spring.