This week 60 years ago: Finsbury Park woman behind on rent kills herself
- Credit: Archant
A Finsbury Park woman who faced a court hearing over rent owed to her landlord took her own life, an inquest heard.
Kathleen Gates, of Gloucester Drive, was found dead in her gas filled room on the day she was scheduled to appear at the court.
The coroner heard how Ms Gates had £70 (the equivalent of £1,500 in today’s terms) in rent arrears against her.
Her brother, Septimus, told St Pancras Coroner’s Court: “She kept her affairs to herself. By her demeanour I did not think the court hearing was pressing her.”
But coroner W. Purchase concluded: “I have no doubt that she became overcome by her position and took her own life.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, a Cally mechanic was killed after the car he was working on fell on top of him.
John Ashman, 54, was removing a shackle pin from the vehicle outside his Gifford Street home.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
A police vehicle examiner found the car fell as he didn’t use a spreader to retain the spring.