This week 60 years ago: Highbury woman, 63, ‘fights soldiers at gunpoint’
- Credit: Archant
A 63-year-old newsagent scared off two soldiers who were allegedly trying to rob her at gunpoint.
Ellen Allison was giving evidence against the two men, aged 19 and 20.
Mrs Allison, who ran the shop in Highbury Place, said the older man “asked me for the wages – he had a gun of some description in his hands”.
She continued: “He pointed it at me. He said he had come out of the army and was desperate.
“I said so was I.
You may also want to watch:
“I picked up a jar of sweets to throw at him. He got closer to me and I let out a scream for help. They ran out the shop.”
The two men were remanded in custody at Old Street Magistrates’ Court.
- 1 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 6 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 7 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Arteta should drop Willian after another miserable performance
- 10 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase