This week 60 years ago: Hornsey Rise man dies after swallowing meat bone, while Canonbury greengrocer battles a snake
- Credit: Archant
A Hornsey Rise man died after accidentally swallowing a meat bone while he was enjoying a meal.
John White, 63, of Hornsey Road, died during surgery to remove the bone at the Royal Northern Hospital.
Coroner W. Purchase recorded “accidental death” at a St Pancras Coroner’s Court inquest, after a pathologist claimed sudden death during the operation wouldn’t have occurred without the bone having already done the damage.
Meanwhile, a greengrocer had an unwelcome guest in a delivery bag of South African oranges: a 2ft snake.
George Grafton, who worked at a shop in Southgate Road, Canonbury, tried to move the reptile when it made a sudden dart at his hand. It narrowly missed him.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Grafton managed to get the snake, dark green with white spots, in a box. He called London Zoo, which advised: “Don’t touch it. It is probably poisonous.”
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'