This week 60 years ago: St Mary’s Church in Upper Street restored after Second World War bombing
- Credit: Archant
St Mary’s Church in Upper Street was finally restored – 16 years after it was wrecked by a Second World War bomb.
Described by the Gazette in 1956 as “Islington’s mother church”, St Mary’s was one of the first UK churches to be bombed, on September 9, 1940.
In the 16 years in between, the congregation worshipped at temporary accommodation.
The 1754 spire and tower still stood, but there were a number of “revolutionary” changes to the church architecture inside.
Interest in its re-opening, which was to be marked by a “re-hallowing” service, was also fuelled by the church’s stellar work with young people in the borough.