This week 60 years ago: Tory candidate for Islington North ‘dislikes kissing babies’
- Credit: Archant
Islington North’s Conservative candidate for the next general election was announced.
“Dark-haired bachelor” Ronald Bartle promised to win over the whole constituency, “in spite of a dislike for kissing babies”.
He was never elected.
Meanwhile, a 60-year-old man was run over while pushing a pram with a mattress attached to it.
James Howell, of Hornsey Road, Holloway, was crossing Parkhurst Road when a first car hit the pram. He was then thrown into the air into the path of a second car.
You may also want to watch:
St Pancras Coroner’s Court recorded a verdict of accidental death, saying he had taken a risk by crossing the road with an unlit pram. There was no explanation as to why he was transporting a mattress.
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 7 Elthorne Pride community group's back-to-school initiative
- 8 Islington company offers paid leave for miscarriage sufferers
- 9 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 10 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'