This week 60 years ago: Tory candidate for Islington North ‘dislikes kissing babies’
- Credit: Archant
Islington North’s Conservative candidate for the next general election was announced.
“Dark-haired bachelor” Ronald Bartle promised to win over the whole constituency, “in spite of a dislike for kissing babies”.
He was never elected.
Meanwhile, a 60-year-old man was run over while pushing a pram with a mattress attached to it.
James Howell, of Hornsey Road, Holloway, was crossing Parkhurst Road when a first car hit the pram. He was then thrown into the air into the path of a second car.
You may also want to watch:
St Pancras Coroner’s Court recorded a verdict of accidental death, saying he had taken a risk by crossing the road with an unlit pram. There was no explanation as to why he was transporting a mattress.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?