This week 60 years ago: Tory candidate for Islington North ‘dislikes kissing babies’
- Credit: Archant
Islington North’s Conservative candidate for the next general election was announced.
“Dark-haired bachelor” Ronald Bartle promised to win over the whole constituency, “in spite of a dislike for kissing babies”.
He was never elected.
Meanwhile, a 60-year-old man was run over while pushing a pram with a mattress attached to it.
James Howell, of Hornsey Road, Holloway, was crossing Parkhurst Road when a first car hit the pram. He was then thrown into the air into the path of a second car.
You may also want to watch:
St Pancras Coroner’s Court recorded a verdict of accidental death, saying he had taken a risk by crossing the road with an unlit pram. There was no explanation as to why he was transporting a mattress.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 6 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 8 Claudia Webbe: Labour calls for MP found guilty of harassment to resign
- 9 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 10 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash