This week 60 years ago: Tory candidate for Islington North ‘dislikes kissing babies’
- Credit: Archant
Islington North’s Conservative candidate for the next general election was announced.
“Dark-haired bachelor” Ronald Bartle promised to win over the whole constituency, “in spite of a dislike for kissing babies”.
He was never elected.
Meanwhile, a 60-year-old man was run over while pushing a pram with a mattress attached to it.
James Howell, of Hornsey Road, Holloway, was crossing Parkhurst Road when a first car hit the pram. He was then thrown into the air into the path of a second car.
You may also want to watch:
St Pancras Coroner’s Court recorded a verdict of accidental death, saying he had taken a risk by crossing the road with an unlit pram. There was no explanation as to why he was transporting a mattress.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally