This week 60 years ago: ‘Wicked’ thief jailed for two months... for stealing biscuits
- Credit: Archant
A 54-year-old woman was jailed for two months – for stealing biscuits.
The woman, from Wynford Road off the Cally, admitted stealing a tin of chocolate biscuits and a tin of assorted biscuits from Independent Milk Supplies in White Conduit Street. She had been caught red-handed by a police officer.
At Clerkenwell Magistrates’ Court, she also pleaded guilty to stealing three more tins on an earlier date. Magistrate T. Davis said it was a “wicked raid on a small shop”.
Meanwhile, an inquest found a 58-year-old woman from Aberdeen Road, Highbury, died after she accidentally turned on the gas during an electricity power failure.
St Pancras Coroner’s Court heard she was found unconscious in her gas-filled bedroom.
You may also want to watch:
Though witnesses said she had been “very lonely” after her husband died, coroner W. Purchase ruled out her taking her own life.
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 5 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 6 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 7 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 8 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 9 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 10 Islington's Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 event to go ahead online