This week 60 years ago: ‘Wicked’ thief jailed for two months... for stealing biscuits
- Credit: Archant
A 54-year-old woman was jailed for two months – for stealing biscuits.
The woman, from Wynford Road off the Cally, admitted stealing a tin of chocolate biscuits and a tin of assorted biscuits from Independent Milk Supplies in White Conduit Street. She had been caught red-handed by a police officer.
At Clerkenwell Magistrates’ Court, she also pleaded guilty to stealing three more tins on an earlier date. Magistrate T. Davis said it was a “wicked raid on a small shop”.
Meanwhile, an inquest found a 58-year-old woman from Aberdeen Road, Highbury, died after she accidentally turned on the gas during an electricity power failure.
St Pancras Coroner’s Court heard she was found unconscious in her gas-filled bedroom.
You may also want to watch:
Though witnesses said she had been “very lonely” after her husband died, coroner W. Purchase ruled out her taking her own life.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 7 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 8 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green