�20,000 paid for a date with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger
Charitable donors paid out a cool �20,000 for a private dinner with Arsene Wenger at the club’s charity ball.
The Emirates Stadium gala also saw rappers Rizzle Kicks, who live in Holloway, put on a performance.
More than �250,000 was raised, mostly by auction, and the date with Wenger was one of the hottest lots of the night, eventually going to a table of fans.
Midfielder Yossi Benayoun splashed out �5,000 for the signed shirt his captain Robin van Persie wore as he scored his 100th goal for the club, while the Dutchman himself scooped a signed boot from Thierry Henry for �13,000.
Defender Per Mertesacker, meanwhile, secured a VIP trip to a wildlife park.
You may also want to watch:
Ivan Gazidis, Arsenal’s chief executive, said: “The generosity shown by our supporters, players, manager and staff meant we raised more money than our wildest expectations.”
The event was held on Thursday last week in aid of the Arsenal Foundation and Save the Children.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 8 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Islington district seal victory over Camden