A warning has been issued about “unsafe” kitchen blenders after a faulty product is believed to have caused a fatal flat fire.

Islington Council was alerted by London Fire Brigade (LFB) as it investigated a fire that led to the death of a man in Haringey.

The fire service believes a faulty blender caused the fire in Willoughby Park Road, Tottenham, in December 2021.

One man died in the blaze, which took firefighters nearly two hours to put out, and another was hospitalised.

Boxo Blend Ltd, which imported blenders from China, was registered to a virtual office address in Old Street between 2020 and 2022.

Once Islington Council was alerted to the potential dangers of the company’s blenders it issued a suspension notice to prevent further sales until the product had been safety tested.

An expert found that the blenders did not comply with electrical equipment safety regulations due to voltage issues and a lack of thermal protection, and they were deemed a fire risk.

Islington Council said they believed at least 1,875 blenders had been imported from China by the company.

The firm had not carried out any safety checks on the items, assuming checks had been carried out by the manufacturer.

The council has since seized almost 1,000 blenders, and approximately 150 were destroyed in the fire.

But it is believed that 650 blenders were sold or given away to the public, and could potentially still pose a fire risk.

After the fatal fire, Boxo Blend Ltd did not fully co-operate with Trading Standards to recall the remaining blenders, prompting the council to initiate legal proceedings. 

Bashiru Anthony Blenman, one of the men who ran the company, pleaded guilty to two offences under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005, one for having the unsafe blender for supply and one for not informing the council where the blenders were.

At Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court on February 1, Mr Blenman was sentenced to 12 weeks’ imprisonment suspended for 12 months, 150 hours of unpaid work, and was asked to make a contribution of £700 to costs plus a £128 victim’s surcharge.

Cllr John Woolf, Islington Council’s executive member for community safety, said: “If you think you might have one of these unsafe ‘Boxo Blend’ blenders please check now, don’t use the device and dispose of it safely.

“This incredibly tragic case, which occurred in our neighbouring borough, highlights how important it is for all businesses, however small, to fulfil their legal responsibility to make sure any products they import are tested and meet UK safety regulations.”