An Islington man has been convicted of a "senseless" murder at a birthday party in a west London pub last summer.

Timothy Simon, 59, of Englefield Road, was found guilty yesterday (Friday, March 24) of murdering Wayne Phillips.

On July 23, 2022, Wayne had arrived with two female companions at an Uxbridge Road pub, where they were attending a birthday party, said police.

READ MORE: Met officer sacked after making racist comments to black colleagues

They brought presents from the boot of their car and entered the pub, greeting people at the entrance.

Within the space of two minutes of arrival, Wayne was approached by Simon.

The men fought briefly before Wayne collapsed, having been stabbed in the chest, and Simon left the scene.

Islington Gazette: Timothy Simon was found guilty of the murder of Wayne Phillips yesterdayTimothy Simon was found guilty of the murder of Wayne Phillips yesterday (Image: Metropolitan Police)

Police were called at 11.55pm to reports of a man suffering stab injuries inside a pub in Ealing.

Officers attended along with ambulance colleagues and 58-year-old Wayne Phillips was found with a stab wound to his heart.

READ MORE: Police search for man who 'can be violent' who absconded from facility while on leave

Despite the efforts of emergency services, Wayne was pronounced dead at the scene at 00.29am on July 24.

A post-mortem examination would later find the cause of death to have been blood loss and stab wound to the heart.

The following day, July 25, Simon was arrested on suspicion of murder and later charged with murder.

According to the Met, the defendant and the victim knew each other but their relationship was not friendly.

The force said the defendant had previously been in a relationship with Wayne's long-term partner - a situation Simon could not accept.

Simon was found guilty of the murder at Isleworth Crown Court yesterday (Friday, March 24).

He was remanded to appear at the same court on April 5 for sentencing.

For the latest crime news in north London, join our North London Crime Watch group on Facebook.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Rawlinson said: "This was a senseless murder that was committed for no other reason than insecurity.

"Timothy Simon’s actions have left Wayne Phillips’s loved ones devastated and even now, almost a year on, they continue to struggle to come to terms with their loss.

"Our thoughts are with them today."

He added: "The entire encounter was captured on CCTV and although Simon maintained at trial that the folding knife was not his, he could be seen initially making a stabbing movement with his right hand, before extending the blade and using it to stab Mr Phillips.

"I am pleased that the right verdict was reached and that Wayne Phillips' loved ones may find a small measure of comfort in knowing that the man who took Wayne from them has been held to account."