A man was treated for smoke inhalation after a blaze damaged a flat in a care home.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to Mildmay Park, Islington, at 11.28pm on Saturday after five members of the public dialled 999.

Half of a third-floor self-contained flat, inside a four-storey residential care home, was damaged in the blaze.

The fire was put out by 12.26am.

One man was treated by London Ambulance Service crews for smoke inhalation.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by smoking materials not being safely disposed of."

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "We'd rather you didn't smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it's absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you've finished smoking it.

"If you don't, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy properties but also cost you your life."

Crews from Islington, Shoreditch, Holloway and Homerton fire stations attended the scene.

Firefighters' smoking safety tips

  • Use proper ashtrays that can’t tip over ,and stub cigarettes out properly.
  • Don’t leave lit pipes or cigarettes unattended.
  • It's safer to smoke outside, but make sure cigarettes are put right out and disposed of properly.
  • Don't balance cigars or cigarettes on the edge of an ashtray, or anything else – they can tip and fall as they burn away and cause a fire.
  • Take extra care when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs or if you’ve been drinking alcohol.
  • Always empty ashtrays carefully. Make sure smoking materials are out, cold and preferably wet them before throwing into a bin – never use a wastepaper basket.