60 years ago: Child, 3, dies in Highbury inferno
- Credit: Archant
A three-year-old boy died in a blaze which gutted his home in Highbury 60 years ago, despite rescue attempts by neighbours who were beaten back by the searing heat.
The boy, had been left alone in a ground floor flat in Riversadale Road with his 7-year-old brother and younger sister, aged 2.
An oil heater in the same room as the children was believed to have caught fire.
The children's mother reportedly left the kids at home while going to collect her husband from Royal Northern Hospital, where he'd been a patient.
A neighbour who witnessed the fire told the Gazette: "I heard a loud thud and looked out of the window to see a sheet of flame go through the centre of the house."
You may also want to watch:
Women living in other parts of the house ran into the streets with their babies.
The seven-year-old fled the house and tried to get neighbours to help his brother, who was still inside.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
Several neighbours then attempted to rescue him, but couldn't.
"It was like an inferno," one told the Gazette.