80 evacuated after fire at Islington pub
Around 80 people had to be evacuated from a pub on in the early hours of Saturday morning after a cigarette started a blaze.
Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters rushed to the The Bull, in Upper Street, just after midnight after a smoke was seen coming from the cellar.
The flames were under control around 1am, but the basement, ground floor and outside of the pub were damaged by the fire.
The blaze is thought to have been caused by a discarded cigarette that had dropped into the cellar from outside the pub.
No one was hurt and the pub reopened at 6pm on Saturday. Redecoration is planned for the next few days.
A spokesman for the Bull said: “This was a relatively minor incident and thankfully no one was harmed and the pub was not damaged. The Fire Brigade attended and took control of the situation.
“We are now trading as usual and we’d like to thank the fire crew that attended as well as our customers for the patience they showed.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 3 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 4 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 8 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 9 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 10 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend