A-level results 2017: City and Islington College student ‘ecstatic’ and ready to ‘save lives’
- Credit: Archant
A City and Islington College student is ‘ecstatic’ at the prospect of being able to ‘save lives’ after receiving A grades in physics, maths and Spanish.
Brandon Stiven Saldarriaga, who picked up his results this morning, has secured a place at Kings College University to study bio medical engineering.
“The college has the best maths and physics teachers and offered me a second chance,” he said. “Studying at City and Islington is the perfect connection between school and university and I feel absolutely ecstatic that I will be able to do what I love and learn to save lives because of the amazing support and teachers here.”
The college as a whole maintained its 96 per cent pass rate from last year, but the number of students bagging A* to C grades went down to 65pc – a drop of almost 5pc. The number of students passing their AS results however jumped up by 8pc to 88.6pc.
Sixth form director Peter Murray said: “I am delighted that in a period of great change we have maintained good results. We are expecting hundreds of our students to secure university places, many of them in competitive courses at Russell Group institutions including Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, King’s and Imperial.
You may also want to watch:
“At least five of our students will be entering medical degrees. The students’ achievements are down to their own hard work and the encouragement and inspiration they received from their teachers.”
College principal Anna Douglas added: “These results are testimony to the hard work of our students and teachers. Many of them will now begin another exciting chapter in their lives at universities across London and the rest of the country. We wish them well in their journey ahead.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 10 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
Keep checking our A-level results homepage for all the latest stories and results from Islington this morning. Got a story? E-mail education editor James Scott on firstname.lastname@example.org.