A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
Do you want to be a part of history? In the summer of 2012, London will play host to the most exciting spectacle on the planet – the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
It will most definitely be “business as unusual” during those momentous months and, as the Mayor’s Olympics adviser, my job is to ensure that London continues to run as smoothly as possible.
To help achieve this, we are recruiting an army of 8,000 volunteers to become London Ambassadors. If you fancy a shot at this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, read on.
We are expecting thousands of extra visitors to descend on the capital to work at, watch and soak up the experience of the Games, particularly during July and August when the athletes are competing. London will have to manage all its regular activities as well as the extra demand this huge global event will place on our resources. My overriding aim is to make sure that all our visitors receive a warm welcome and as much help as possible in finding out all they need to know to enjoy the Games and their time in London.
The Mayor and I are looking for enthusiastic Londoners, aged 16 and over. If you’re good at dealing with people, if you want to represent your fantastic city or if you speak more than one language, you could be exactly what we’re looking for.
You may also want to watch:
We want representatives from every one of London’s diverse communities who are passionate and knowledgeable about the capital, and who want to show the world what London has to offer during this historic moment.
You will be the friendly helping hand to our visitors as they arrive at our airports and stations. You will provide them with information on how to get to specific places, such as competition venues and outdoor screens broadcasting the Games, as well as museums, theatres, restaurants and shopping districts. Most importantly, you will be a crucial point-of-contact in what will be one of the greatest shows on Earth.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
In return for a few days of your time we will give you training, free travel, food and a uniform, not to mention fantastic experience and the honour of being an ambassador for this great city. So, whatever your background and whatever your borough, register now at www.londonambassadors.org.uk – Neale Coleman, the Mayor of London’s Director of London 2012 Co-ordination.