A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
Do you want to be a part of history? In the summer of 2012, London will play host to the most exciting spectacle on the planet – the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
It will most definitely be “business as unusual” during those momentous months and, as the Mayor’s Olympics adviser, my job is to ensure that London continues to run as smoothly as possible.
To help achieve this, we are recruiting an army of 8,000 volunteers to become London Ambassadors. If you fancy a shot at this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, read on.
We are expecting thousands of extra visitors to descend on the capital to work at, watch and soak up the experience of the Games, particularly during July and August when the athletes are competing. London will have to manage all its regular activities as well as the extra demand this huge global event will place on our resources. My overriding aim is to make sure that all our visitors receive a warm welcome and as much help as possible in finding out all they need to know to enjoy the Games and their time in London.
The Mayor and I are looking for enthusiastic Londoners, aged 16 and over. If you’re good at dealing with people, if you want to represent your fantastic city or if you speak more than one language, you could be exactly what we’re looking for.
We want representatives from every one of London’s diverse communities who are passionate and knowledgeable about the capital, and who want to show the world what London has to offer during this historic moment.
You will be the friendly helping hand to our visitors as they arrive at our airports and stations. You will provide them with information on how to get to specific places, such as competition venues and outdoor screens broadcasting the Games, as well as museums, theatres, restaurants and shopping districts. Most importantly, you will be a crucial point-of-contact in what will be one of the greatest shows on Earth.
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 3 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 4 Husband granted right to use late wife's embryo for surrogacy
- 5 Actors present prizes at Islington Education Awards 2022
- 6 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 7 'White lives matter' graffiti removed in Archway after two months
- 8 Caledonian artist attempting to paint 100 London pubs
- 9 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
In return for a few days of your time we will give you training, free travel, food and a uniform, not to mention fantastic experience and the honour of being an ambassador for this great city. So, whatever your background and whatever your borough, register now at www.londonambassadors.org.uk – Neale Coleman, the Mayor of London’s Director of London 2012 Co-ordination.