Album review: Green Day - Awesome As F**k
A live pick’n’mix of tracks from last year’s world tour by the punk-rock behemoths, leaning heavily on newer material - plus a DVD for added bite.
Having graduated to the pantheon of legendary bands after two decades turning out high-octane mainstream punk, Green Day’s 21st Century Breakdown world tour topped a victorious few years.
These 17 songs, culled and seamlessly pasted together from that tour, capture the band at full-tilt - from the defiant militaristic blast of Holiday to breakneck modern classic Burnout.
Still clad in Converse trainers, school ties and eye makeup, Billie Joe Armstrong leads the way back to everyone’s lost youth - imagined or not - with sound quality that puts you in the crowd if you turn it up to 11.
New song Cigarettes And Valentines gets a live airing and just about stands up to the later material that dominates here.
You may also want to watch:
A DVD of their Japan gig with a further 16 songs, including the excellent early Welcome To Paradise, completes a raucous, rip-snorting package.
- 1 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 4 How much do you know about Islington?
- 5 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 6 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 'Eidevall has turned Arsenal from believers into contenders'