Album review: Heidi Spencer & The Rare Birds - Under Streetlight Glow
An atmospheric, acoustic wonder from Bella Union’s new signing, channeling the elements into a striking clutch of pared-down but evocative jewels.
A life spent making short films, travelling around America, writing songs and sleeping in cars along the way has defintely shaped this Milwaukee singer-songwriter’s debut.
The real-life troubadour has produced 10 tracks of pared-down arrangements conjuring atmosphere from the space they’re given to breathe.
‘No-one needs to know we laid around all day, let’s make up a good alibi’ she sings with a playful intimacy on Alibi over smooth piano and acoustic guitar, an aural liaison continued in the dusky, lingering notes of the title track.
Things only improve when earthier vocal tones reveal themselves further on.
The elements prove a recurring theme, echoed in washes of lapsteel guitar, ominous double bass and sinewy violin, which bears Tried And True’s considerable emotional weight.
An evocative talent indeed.
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 6 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 7 'An air fryer is this season's must-have for low-fat recipes'
- 8 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 9 London among areas where drought is declared
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park