Album review: Michael Buble - Christmas
Mr B croons his way through the classics, ably assisted by a crack orchestra. Does he shake-up the seasonal soundscape, or is this a shameless Chrimbo cash cow?
Hurtling out of the festive blocks before you’ve even found your scarf and gloves, the ubiquitous Buble has recorded a platter of 15 Xmas mini-bites to make sure we’ve had a gutful of fake sentiment by mid-November.
Being Buble, the renditions are smoother than duck liver pat� and are entertainingly hammed-up. At times, he doesn’t fall far short of some of the Rat Pack’s festive missives.
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town builds to a jazz-hands climax, while the consummate retro-cool Puppini Sisters are roped in as backing singers for a nimble Jingle Bells.
Shania Twain adds unhelpful yelps to duet White Christmas, and his pretty inspid new track Cold December Night has a hard job ingratiating itself with other classics. Overall though, a solid covers record.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting