Album review: Michael Buble - Christmas
Mr B croons his way through the classics, ably assisted by a crack orchestra. Does he shake-up the seasonal soundscape, or is this a shameless Chrimbo cash cow?
Hurtling out of the festive blocks before you’ve even found your scarf and gloves, the ubiquitous Buble has recorded a platter of 15 Xmas mini-bites to make sure we’ve had a gutful of fake sentiment by mid-November.
Being Buble, the renditions are smoother than duck liver pat� and are entertainingly hammed-up. At times, he doesn’t fall far short of some of the Rat Pack’s festive missives.
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town builds to a jazz-hands climax, while the consummate retro-cool Puppini Sisters are roped in as backing singers for a nimble Jingle Bells.
Shania Twain adds unhelpful yelps to duet White Christmas, and his pretty inspid new track Cold December Night has a hard job ingratiating itself with other classics. Overall though, a solid covers record.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London