Album review: Michael Buble - Christmas
Mr B croons his way through the classics, ably assisted by a crack orchestra. Does he shake-up the seasonal soundscape, or is this a shameless Chrimbo cash cow?
Hurtling out of the festive blocks before you’ve even found your scarf and gloves, the ubiquitous Buble has recorded a platter of 15 Xmas mini-bites to make sure we’ve had a gutful of fake sentiment by mid-November.
Being Buble, the renditions are smoother than duck liver pat� and are entertainingly hammed-up. At times, he doesn’t fall far short of some of the Rat Pack’s festive missives.
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town builds to a jazz-hands climax, while the consummate retro-cool Puppini Sisters are roped in as backing singers for a nimble Jingle Bells.
Shania Twain adds unhelpful yelps to duet White Christmas, and his pretty inspid new track Cold December Night has a hard job ingratiating itself with other classics. Overall though, a solid covers record.
- 1 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 2 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 3 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 6 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 7 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 8 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op