Album review: Michael Bubl� - Christmas (Deluxe Special Edition)
The wildly successful crooner repackages last year’s silken festive offering with four more tracks. But is it an improvement?
Bubl� has grafted some new appendages to last year’s festive outing, redoubling his efforts of seduction.
As well as being – hold your breath now – ‘packaged in a hot silver foil presentation’ which to you and me means the writing’s silver not red, we also get four more tracks on this 2012 revisit, and – dab my brow – a five-second Christmas greeting from the man himself.
Of the new material, the elegant and refined Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) gets a bit yawnsome, while Winter Wonderland’s peaceful entrance gives way to the brassy big guns for a Broadway finish in line with other tunes here.
The Puppini Sisters feature in a second tune alongside the cantering, jazzy Jingle Bells; this year Frosty The Snowman gets the slick and speedy toe-tapper treatment, the sisters under-used as candied backing singers.
Silver Bells’ slow and sober sign-off, with Naturally 7, struggles to leave its mark too.
More quantity, yes – but the new songs really don’t add quality.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 3 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 4 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 5 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 6 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 7 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 8 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 9 Michael Palin Christmas carol fundraiser to support children who stammer
- 10 'In years to come I might celebrate my Covid anniversary'