Album review: Rough Trade Shops - Electronic 11
Want to get down with digitalism? Become god of glitch? Let Rough Trade help with this handy guide to the latest movers and shakers of the underground scenes.
Those scarily knowledgeable folk in Rough Trade’s London retail meccas have an enviable reputation for putting together the most authoratative genre collections going.
Here we have 22 tracks encompassing a fearsomely diverse year from just about all the micro-genres of electronica, lovingly curated to within an inch of its life.
As usual, obsessives needn’t concern themselves with this, but for mere mortals Electronic 11 is a compulsive tour of the genre’s latest underground elements.
From the dancefloor we get Rustie’s hugely enjoyable electro-blizzard Hyperthrust and Hercules & Love Affair’s glitch-sprayed My House.
You may also want to watch:
But it’s the likes of the scything Evil Twin of Modeselektor, Death Grips’ brutal hip-hop crossover Guillotine and Marcus Schmickler’s gloopy, neon Discordance Axis that confound and excite in equal measure.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 5 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 8 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 9 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 10 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans