Album review: Rough Trade Shops - Electronic 11
Want to get down with digitalism? Become god of glitch? Let Rough Trade help with this handy guide to the latest movers and shakers of the underground scenes.
Those scarily knowledgeable folk in Rough Trade’s London retail meccas have an enviable reputation for putting together the most authoratative genre collections going.
Here we have 22 tracks encompassing a fearsomely diverse year from just about all the micro-genres of electronica, lovingly curated to within an inch of its life.
As usual, obsessives needn’t concern themselves with this, but for mere mortals Electronic 11 is a compulsive tour of the genre’s latest underground elements.
From the dancefloor we get Rustie’s hugely enjoyable electro-blizzard Hyperthrust and Hercules & Love Affair’s glitch-sprayed My House.
You may also want to watch:
But it’s the likes of the scything Evil Twin of Modeselektor, Death Grips’ brutal hip-hop crossover Guillotine and Marcus Schmickler’s gloopy, neon Discordance Axis that confound and excite in equal measure.
- 1 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 2 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 3 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 4 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 5 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 6 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 7 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 8 Arsenal boss Montemurro picks up second straight manager of the month award
- 9 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 10 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir