Album review: Thomas Tantrum - Mad By Moonlight
Megan Thomas’ band aims for dreamy guitar-pop success with this second album. But will they be left howling at the moon?
This Southampton four-piece have based their sophomore effort solely around sleep, or lack of it.
It’s a glut of sweetly neat, comfy and tuneful indie-pop fronted by Megan Thomas, whose light but powerful voice sounds precisely built for that purpose.
New single Hot Hot Summer oozes a fanciful, youthful romance that charms - but I can’t shake the feeling that, like a lovely ice cream on a hot day, it’ll be long forgotten before the leaves start turning brown.
The odd synth offers some variety to the lilting, melody-heavy set, while Sleep’s gutsy guitar line melts into a Gwen Stefani-lite number – only a cute, hand-clapped stomp cracks the overly sugary veneer.
You may also want to watch:
An album of carefree guitar-pop that might just be too disposable for its own good.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 10 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum