Album review: Thomas Tantrum - Mad By Moonlight
Megan Thomas’ band aims for dreamy guitar-pop success with this second album. But will they be left howling at the moon?
This Southampton four-piece have based their sophomore effort solely around sleep, or lack of it.
It’s a glut of sweetly neat, comfy and tuneful indie-pop fronted by Megan Thomas, whose light but powerful voice sounds precisely built for that purpose.
New single Hot Hot Summer oozes a fanciful, youthful romance that charms - but I can’t shake the feeling that, like a lovely ice cream on a hot day, it’ll be long forgotten before the leaves start turning brown.
The odd synth offers some variety to the lilting, melody-heavy set, while Sleep’s gutsy guitar line melts into a Gwen Stefani-lite number – only a cute, hand-clapped stomp cracks the overly sugary veneer.
An album of carefree guitar-pop that might just be too disposable for its own good.
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'