Album review: Thomas Tantrum - Mad By Moonlight
Megan Thomas’ band aims for dreamy guitar-pop success with this second album. But will they be left howling at the moon?
This Southampton four-piece have based their sophomore effort solely around sleep, or lack of it.
It’s a glut of sweetly neat, comfy and tuneful indie-pop fronted by Megan Thomas, whose light but powerful voice sounds precisely built for that purpose.
New single Hot Hot Summer oozes a fanciful, youthful romance that charms - but I can’t shake the feeling that, like a lovely ice cream on a hot day, it’ll be long forgotten before the leaves start turning brown.
The odd synth offers some variety to the lilting, melody-heavy set, while Sleep’s gutsy guitar line melts into a Gwen Stefani-lite number – only a cute, hand-clapped stomp cracks the overly sugary veneer.
You may also want to watch:
An album of carefree guitar-pop that might just be too disposable for its own good.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 10 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'