Album review: You Animals - Same Sky, Different Sea EP
Spiky, new-wave indie newcomers come over all fluffy and folksy on a clutch of ‘alternate takes’ that improve on their originals.
You Animals’ EP boasts alternate versions of songs from their imminent debut album, maybe to prove they’re Ones To Watch rather than one-trick ponies, whales, hamsters, or whatever.
Lead track What You Want What You Need (Never Gonna Fall In Love), originally spiky indie-rock, is given a woozy nu-folk makeover with melodica and handclaps, giving doleful lyrics more room to breathe.
The same goes for Halfway To Heartbreak (The Lights Were Flickering), a pleasingly relaxed, scrappy take bedecked with sparkling glockenspiel and vocal harmonies.
What A Shame, Lorraine (Connect The Dots) redirects The Postal Service with its processed beats and harpsichord.
You may also want to watch:
Piano ballad All The Rage (Suffer For Your Art) is weakest, but SSDS remains an encouraging opening salvo – and it’s free via their website!
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum