Album review: You Animals - Same Sky, Different Sea EP
Spiky, new-wave indie newcomers come over all fluffy and folksy on a clutch of ‘alternate takes’ that improve on their originals.
You Animals’ EP boasts alternate versions of songs from their imminent debut album, maybe to prove they’re Ones To Watch rather than one-trick ponies, whales, hamsters, or whatever.
Lead track What You Want What You Need (Never Gonna Fall In Love), originally spiky indie-rock, is given a woozy nu-folk makeover with melodica and handclaps, giving doleful lyrics more room to breathe.
The same goes for Halfway To Heartbreak (The Lights Were Flickering), a pleasingly relaxed, scrappy take bedecked with sparkling glockenspiel and vocal harmonies.
What A Shame, Lorraine (Connect The Dots) redirects The Postal Service with its processed beats and harpsichord.
You may also want to watch:
Piano ballad All The Rage (Suffer For Your Art) is weakest, but SSDS remains an encouraging opening salvo – and it’s free via their website!
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 8 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'