Album review: You Animals - Same Sky, Different Sea EP
Spiky, new-wave indie newcomers come over all fluffy and folksy on a clutch of ‘alternate takes’ that improve on their originals.
You Animals’ EP boasts alternate versions of songs from their imminent debut album, maybe to prove they’re Ones To Watch rather than one-trick ponies, whales, hamsters, or whatever.
Lead track What You Want What You Need (Never Gonna Fall In Love), originally spiky indie-rock, is given a woozy nu-folk makeover with melodica and handclaps, giving doleful lyrics more room to breathe.
The same goes for Halfway To Heartbreak (The Lights Were Flickering), a pleasingly relaxed, scrappy take bedecked with sparkling glockenspiel and vocal harmonies.
What A Shame, Lorraine (Connect The Dots) redirects The Postal Service with its processed beats and harpsichord.
You may also want to watch:
Piano ballad All The Rage (Suffer For Your Art) is weakest, but SSDS remains an encouraging opening salvo – and it’s free via their website!
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 7 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
- 8 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- 9 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 10 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover