Album review: Zac Brown Band - You Get What You Give
Already music behemoths over the water, these country stars might have a harder time flogging their twee, traditional - albeit polished - wares on British soil.
They’ve given us Glee, Burger King and Sandra Bullock, so not everything the Americans love goes down so smoothly over here.
Reaction to the Zac Brown Band on these shores – despite them bagging two Grammys and releasing a double-platinum-selling debut in 2009 in the US – might be less than ‘swell’.
This is fiddle-laced American country-rock that couldn’t be more middle of the road if it had white lines painted across it.
A soul-sapping 15 tracks of truckers’ delights, it is at least well executed and there are no real howlers – although some howling might at least have provided a point of interest.
You may also want to watch:
The eponymous lead singer does slip in the odd juicy lyric to liven things up – drunkenly telling the barkeep ‘lick my sack’ during a Whiskey’s Gone, a rip-snorting, thigh-slapping slice of turbo-country. But YGWYG’s nothing you ain’t heard before.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey