Album review: Zac Brown Band - You Get What You Give
Already music behemoths over the water, these country stars might have a harder time flogging their twee, traditional - albeit polished - wares on British soil.
They’ve given us Glee, Burger King and Sandra Bullock, so not everything the Americans love goes down so smoothly over here.
Reaction to the Zac Brown Band on these shores – despite them bagging two Grammys and releasing a double-platinum-selling debut in 2009 in the US – might be less than ‘swell’.
This is fiddle-laced American country-rock that couldn’t be more middle of the road if it had white lines painted across it.
A soul-sapping 15 tracks of truckers’ delights, it is at least well executed and there are no real howlers – although some howling might at least have provided a point of interest.
You may also want to watch:
The eponymous lead singer does slip in the odd juicy lyric to liven things up – drunkenly telling the barkeep ‘lick my sack’ during a Whiskey’s Gone, a rip-snorting, thigh-slapping slice of turbo-country. But YGWYG’s nothing you ain’t heard before.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller