Archway Aldi set to open in Holloway Road
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The long-awaited Archway Aldi will open to Islington shoppers on Thursday.
The low-price supermarket will stand on the former Pound Land site, in Holloway Road, and will employ 40 people from in and around the area.
The licensing sub committee unanimously approved the plans back in February, despite protests from campaigners who feared the proliferation of off licenses was saturating Archway in alcohol.
Cllr Dave Poyser (Lab, Archway) told the Gazette: “We are very pleased that Archway is opening. It provides a lot of good value food. I go there myself sometimes and they are very welcome.
“We would also appreciate more local shops and cafes in the area that aren’t part of international brands.”
You may also want to watch:
The store will be opened by Mark Hunter, the retired British rower who won Gold at Bejing 2008, who will cut the ribbon at 7.00am sharp.
Mr Hunter, who lives in Highbury, will then visit Yerbury Primary School, in Foxham Road.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
Store manager, Fabio Belinghieri, said: “We’re delighted that Mark will be hosting our grand opening celebrations.
“No doubt this will be a brilliant start for the Archway store and we can’t wait to meet local shoppers over the coming weeks and months.”
The 570 square meter store will open from 7.00am to 11.00pm Monday to Friday, and from 11.00am to 5.00pm on the weekends.