Archway Aldi set to open in Holloway Road
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The long-awaited Archway Aldi will open to Islington shoppers on Thursday.
The low-price supermarket will stand on the former Pound Land site, in Holloway Road, and will employ 40 people from in and around the area.
The licensing sub committee unanimously approved the plans back in February, despite protests from campaigners who feared the proliferation of off licenses was saturating Archway in alcohol.
Cllr Dave Poyser (Lab, Archway) told the Gazette: “We are very pleased that Archway is opening. It provides a lot of good value food. I go there myself sometimes and they are very welcome.
“We would also appreciate more local shops and cafes in the area that aren’t part of international brands.”
You may also want to watch:
The store will be opened by Mark Hunter, the retired British rower who won Gold at Bejing 2008, who will cut the ribbon at 7.00am sharp.
Mr Hunter, who lives in Highbury, will then visit Yerbury Primary School, in Foxham Road.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
Store manager, Fabio Belinghieri, said: “We’re delighted that Mark will be hosting our grand opening celebrations.
“No doubt this will be a brilliant start for the Archway store and we can’t wait to meet local shoppers over the coming weeks and months.”
The 570 square meter store will open from 7.00am to 11.00pm Monday to Friday, and from 11.00am to 5.00pm on the weekends.