Alexandre Lacazette gets off the mark for Arsenal in friendly win over Sydney FC
- Credit: Arsenal FC via Getty Images
Per Mertsecacker opens scoring for Arsene Wenger’s team before big summer recruit finds the net
Arsenal’s new signing Alexandre Lacazette netted on his debut, as the Gunners beat Sydney FC 2-0 earlier today in Australia.
It took just four minutes for Arsene Wenger’s team to open their account for the 2017/18 season and it came from an unlikely source.
Sydney FC failed to defend a corner properly and Per Mertesacker hooked the ball in from close range after four minutes.
Arsenal created more chances after making the breakthrough, but had to settle for a 1-0 scoreline at the break.
You may also want to watch:
The Gunners won a spot-kick at the start of the second half, though Danny Welbeck was denied.
Lacazette was introduced for his Arsenal debut in the 68th minute, as Wenger made a host of changes.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 4 Islington shooting victim named
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
And it didn’t take the former Lyon forward long to open his account after great work by Alex Iwobi.
Iwobi sprinted down the right before taking his time to pick out Lacazette, who slotted home the Gunners’ second.
It gave Arsenal a solid 2-0 win during their opening pre-season match of the summer and they face Western Sydney Wanderers next on Saturday.