Alexandre Lacazette gets off the mark for Arsenal in friendly win over Sydney FC
- Credit: Arsenal FC via Getty Images
Per Mertsecacker opens scoring for Arsene Wenger’s team before big summer recruit finds the net
Arsenal’s new signing Alexandre Lacazette netted on his debut, as the Gunners beat Sydney FC 2-0 earlier today in Australia.
It took just four minutes for Arsene Wenger’s team to open their account for the 2017/18 season and it came from an unlikely source.
Sydney FC failed to defend a corner properly and Per Mertesacker hooked the ball in from close range after four minutes.
Arsenal created more chances after making the breakthrough, but had to settle for a 1-0 scoreline at the break.
You may also want to watch:
The Gunners won a spot-kick at the start of the second half, though Danny Welbeck was denied.
Lacazette was introduced for his Arsenal debut in the 68th minute, as Wenger made a host of changes.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
And it didn’t take the former Lyon forward long to open his account after great work by Alex Iwobi.
Iwobi sprinted down the right before taking his time to pick out Lacazette, who slotted home the Gunners’ second.
It gave Arsenal a solid 2-0 win during their opening pre-season match of the summer and they face Western Sydney Wanderers next on Saturday.