Almost 3,500 sign petition calling for justice following teen’s Holloway scooter death

Henry Hicks

Henry Hicks - Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson

Almost 3,500 people have signed a petition calling for justice following the scooter death of a teenager.

The family of Henry Hicks, 18, say they can’t even bury their “loveliest boy” because his body is being held while the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigate police involvement in his death.

On December 19, Mr Hicks was riding a black Vespa motorbike when it hit a parked car on Wheelwright Street, near the junction of Roman Way, Holloway, and went into the path of an oncoming Saab.

He had ridden off after being approached by two police officers, who are thought to have then followed him in a car with their blue lights flashing. Henry was taken to hospital but died soon after.

Since the incident there have been a number of peaceful demonstrations and vigils at the scene of his death, and graffiti saying: ‘Police killed Henry Hicks’ has appeared on hundreds of walls across the borough.

Now the petition, thought to have been set up by Mr Hicks’ sister, has called for a quicker resolution.

She said : “Henry had a heart of gold and was so so loved by all.

Most Read

We have been told it will still be weeks until they release he’s body. We can’t even bury our darling boy. All we want is justice for our lovely boy.”

“Thank you all so much for signing and sharing Henry’s petition, it means so, so much to me and my family.”

She also claimed that Henry had been stopped and searched by police “daily” – despite having no criminal conviction.

The Twitter account Justice for Henry has also called for the CCTV footage of the incident to be released.

A spokesman for the IPCC said the release of Mr Hick’s body was a matter for the coroner.

A statement from the watchdog said: “Our family liaison officer has been speaking to Henry’s family to arrange for them to see the CCTV we have recovered.”

It adds: “The IPCC is able to confirm at this stage, and based on the evidence reviewed, that Henry collided with a stationary Ford Galaxy belonging to a member of the public before coming off his scooter which then came to rest in the path of a Saab 9-3 also belonging to a member of the public. “The CCTV shows that no police vehicle hit Henry or his scooter.

“However, the IPCC will continue to robustly investigate all the actions of the police leading up to the tragic events in Wheelwright Street.

“IPCC investigators have updated Henry’s family on these developments and the IPCC commissioner has met with community and youth representatives to update them on the scope of the investigation and listen to their concerns about the events leading up to Henry’s death.”

Mr Hicks died exactly two months after his friend Joe Walker, who was killed after a moped crash in Seven Sisters Road, Haringey, on October 19.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter