Amazing to sign new Arsenal deal says Iwobi
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Alex Iwobi said if felt ‘amazing’ to sign an extended contract at Arsenal and cannot wait for the 2018/19 season to get underway.
The 22-year-old, given his first-team debut by Arsene Wenger in 2015, has penned a new deal, having made 98 appearances and scored nine goals to date, and wants to keep progressing at the club, having originally signed for the Hale End academy at the age of nine.
Iwobi has netted six international goals in 20 games for Nigeria, representing them at the World Cup in Russia, and said: “It’s always been my childhood dream to represent Arsenal, from young, and to get an extended contract is an amazing feeling and I hope I’m doing the Arsenal family proud as well as my family.
“It feels so special, the first kit I had was Arsenal and long may it continue that I represent them.
There’s always going to be pressure in football and it’s always amazing for young “kids, especially at Hale End to look up to me, so I’ll try and continue to make them proud.
You may also want to watch:
“It motivates me and makes me always realise that I have to be representing the team and giving 100 per cent at all times.
“It’s not just myself and family, I represent the younger generation as well.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
Iwobi travelled to the Far East with the squad to play Atletico Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain and netted the winning penalty in a shootout against Chelsea in Dublin earlier this week.
He added: “I was always focused on the football and let everyone else deal with talks behind doors.
“I’m excited. I enjoyed my time in Singapore and I’m enjoying training now and can’t wait for the season to go ahead.”
Arsenal head coach Unai Emery welcomed the news, adding: “I’m very pleased Alex has signed a new contract with us.
“He is a great example of a player who can succeed from the Academy through hard work and I look forward to working with him and our other talented young players in the squad.”
Arsenal are set to play Lazio in their final pre-season friendly in Stockholm on Saturday.