‘An exciting day for Islington’: Town hall announces Arsenal FA Cup parade (if they win)
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s been a bad season for Arsenal – but it could still end with a trophy parade around Highbury on Sunday.
The Gunners play Chelsea in the FA Cup final on Saturday, and if they win there will be a huge party the following morning.
Players will arrive at Emirates Stadium at 11am for a civic reception with Mayor of Islington Cllr Una O’Halloran. The parade, featuring two open top buses, will start from the stadium’s Drayton Park side at 11.45am.
It will move through Martineau Road, Highbury Hill, Highbury Park, Blackstock Road, Gillespie Road, Avenell Road, Aubert Park, Drayton Park and then back to Emirates Stadium at about 12.20pm. Traditional Arsenal parades incorporate Islington Town Hall, but this has been ruled out due to ongoing roadworks.
Players will then appear on a podium by the Armoury, with the celebrations scheduled to finish at 1.30pm. It remains to be seen if an Arsenal player takes on Jack Wilshere’s role as chief antagoniser of Tottenham Hotspur.
A council spokesman said: “This would be an exciting day for Islington, and we are expecting the parade to attract large crowds. We will be working closely with the police and Arsenal FC to ensure that if the parade goes ahead it is a safe and enjoyable event.”
The spokesman added that in the past, people climbing on roofs has been a problem. He said people can help stop this “potentially dangerous practice” by “not allowing people to use your roof”.
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 3 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 4 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 5 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 6 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 7 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 8 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 9 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
- 10 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
Road closures will be in place from 9am on Sunday, with parking restrictions from 9pm on Saturday. The council said anyone living on the parade route will need to ensure they move their cars.
For more information, call Islington Council on 020 7527 2000.