‘An exciting day for Islington’: Town hall announces Arsenal FA Cup parade (if they win)
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s been a bad season for Arsenal – but it could still end with a trophy parade around Highbury on Sunday.
The Gunners play Chelsea in the FA Cup final on Saturday, and if they win there will be a huge party the following morning.
Players will arrive at Emirates Stadium at 11am for a civic reception with Mayor of Islington Cllr Una O’Halloran. The parade, featuring two open top buses, will start from the stadium’s Drayton Park side at 11.45am.
It will move through Martineau Road, Highbury Hill, Highbury Park, Blackstock Road, Gillespie Road, Avenell Road, Aubert Park, Drayton Park and then back to Emirates Stadium at about 12.20pm. Traditional Arsenal parades incorporate Islington Town Hall, but this has been ruled out due to ongoing roadworks.
Players will then appear on a podium by the Armoury, with the celebrations scheduled to finish at 1.30pm. It remains to be seen if an Arsenal player takes on Jack Wilshere’s role as chief antagoniser of Tottenham Hotspur.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “This would be an exciting day for Islington, and we are expecting the parade to attract large crowds. We will be working closely with the police and Arsenal FC to ensure that if the parade goes ahead it is a safe and enjoyable event.”
The spokesman added that in the past, people climbing on roofs has been a problem. He said people can help stop this “potentially dangerous practice” by “not allowing people to use your roof”.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
Road closures will be in place from 9am on Sunday, with parking restrictions from 9pm on Saturday. The council said anyone living on the parade route will need to ensure they move their cars.
For more information, call Islington Council on 020 7527 2000.