Andover Estate revitalised after Andrew Jaipaul murder
An estate where a man was killed has been revitalised through a youth project.
Andrew Jaipaul, 21, was stabbed to death on the Andover Estate in June, but now Islington Council says various activities have created a renewed sense of community.
Young people aged up to 20 have taken part in cookery and self-defence classes and designed a mosaic through the council’s Youth Connect Finsbury Park project.
More than 180 tenants have signed up to the youth centre since the scheme started in March. Some have gone on trips to museums and Colchester Zoo.
Youth worker Inji Ali, who runs the programme, said: “I feel we have made such a massive difference not just to the children but families as well. Many are on benefits and unable to get out for the day.
“The self-defence was important because when Andrew got stabbed some felt vulnerable.
“There is a strong sense of belonging on this estate. When young people step out of line they do get pulled up.”
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 6 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 7 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 8 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 9 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
- 10 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
Andover Estate teenagers were rewarded for their efforts at a celebration which included a disco and film screening.
Jay Jacobs, 12, who attends Holloway School in Hilldrop Road and who has gained a certificate for self-defence, said: “It is great to have somewhere where we are safe and can have fun – rather than being out playing on the streets.”
Tayla Raines, 13, a fellow Holloway School pupil, said: “I have absolutely loved the self-defence classes.”
Youth Connect Finsbury Park runs sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday which are open to all residents.
n For details contact Inji Ali on 0758 4370873 or email@example.com.