Angel Comedy Club buys pub lease with help of 1,000 backers who raised £46,000
- Credit: Archant
What do you get if you cross a comedy club’s pleas for funding with 1,000 passionate supporters? £46,000 and a new pub.
Angel Comedy Club had outgrown the small room above the Camden Head boozer and the team decided they needed a permanent home.
So they approached the landlord of the old Mucky Pup in Queen’s Head Street off Essex Road, and to their delight he agreed to sell them the lease – turning down a gastropub chain to do so.
But as the events it hosts are free of charge, a Kickstarter page was set up to help the team with costs.
The aim was £20,000 – but last week the fundraiser ended with a whopping £46,643 in the tin.
You may also want to watch:
The team said the money will allow them to finish work on the venue, build a training room and podcast studio and start developing community projects.
In return for their generosity, the backers will get gifts in the shape of T-shirts, bags, hoodies, and the permission to name anything in the pub at a launch party.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Club director Dec Munro told the Gazette: “We’re amazed and completely humbled. Now we’ve got the chance to make this place brilliant! “The previous landlord, Angus, is lovely and deliberately chose to try and keep the punk ethos by selling to us (at a cheaper amount than a gastropub had offered).
“We promise we’ve no plans to sell meals served on pieces of slate... ever”
The team are already hosting comedy gigs at their new home. Visit angelcomedy.co.uk for listings.