Anger over 'gaping hole in street'
A PENSIONER has slammed Islington Council for doing nothing about a ""gaping hole"" in the middle of his street.
A PENSIONER has slammed Islington Council for doing nothing about a "gaping hole" in the middle of his street.
John Beer, 68, of Blundell Street, Holloway, says he has complained a number of times about a large hole in the road surface outside his home.
Mr Beer said: I'm a pensioner and I rely on my wife driving me about but with that hole it's really painful to drive over. That's why we go round it now - which is a bit dangerous as you have to drive on the other side of the road. We get some traffic flying up this road and the pothole makes it dangerous. They could see it late and swerve and at the least they probably do a lot of damage to their cars."
Black cab driver Joe Cartwright, of Conistone Way, off Caledonian Road, Islington, said: "It's a gaping hole right in the middle of the road and you have to drive around it. It must be a couple of inches deep at least and it's pretty much unavoidable."
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Lucy Watt, Islington Council's executive member for the environment, said: "Unfortunately the hole near Mr Beer's home is too big for a simple pothole repair. Sections of Blundell Street are badly worn and patching work is planned. We hope to begin within the next few weeks.
"We know the state of our roads and pavements are very important to residents, and extra money has been put aside in next year's budget to maintain our 160 miles of highways. I'm sorry Mr Beer and other residents have had to wait for these repairs - but the street is high on our priority list and work should begin soon.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault