Anne Berent obituary: Former mayor of Islington was ‘true champion of liberal causes’
- Credit: Archant
A former mayor of Islington and “true champion of liberal causes” died on Wednesday morning, aged 93.
Anna Berent was a Liberal Democrats councillor for Mildmay ward from 2002 to 2010, and she served as mayor in her final year on the council.
Anna was a founding member of the Social Democratic Party in Islington before joining the Lib Dems.
Before being elected, Anna led a successful campaigned to stop the Eurostar from running on surface tracks through Islington.
Anna also played a leading role in transforming the park in Newington Green, and in the development of the Mildmay Community Centre.
You may also want to watch:
She was passionate environmental campaigner and organised the St Paul’s Shrubbery Festival for 20 years. Anna and was a founding member, and later chair, of Newington Green Action Group.
Former Lib Dem leader of Islington Council Terry Stacy MBE said: “Anna was a true champion of liberal causes. I don’t think we would have seen the improvements to Newington Green and the surrounding area if it hadn’t been for her advocacy.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 10 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
“She truly was inspirational. She played an instrumental part in Lib Dems history when we ran the council.”
Former Lib Dem deputy council leader Lucy Watt added: “Anna was an amazing woman – very free thinking – she had her principles and was really respected for that.”
She continued: “She campaigned on so many environmental and civil liberties issues. She was always at the marches.
“She will really be missed. She was a very generous person, had a lively mind right up to the end.”
Baroness Meral Hussein-Ece OBE, who served as Lib Dems councillor for Mildmay at the same time as Anna, said: “She worked tirelessly, she was a fantastic councillor. She was such a strong community champion, a really remarkable and public servant. She served the people of Islington tremendously. I feel very privileged to have served with her as a fellow ward councillor. She helped so many people and touched so many lives.”