Another car flips over at ‘dangerous’ Drayton Park road layout
- Credit: Archant
Another car has flipped over at a controversial road layout with one businessman in the area saying “it’s only a matter of time before someone gets killed”.
Emergency services were called to Drayton Park, Highbury, just before 4pm today after a car turned over at the controversial width restriction near the junction with Whistler Street.
It is thought both of the passengers escaped relatively unharmed and the road reopened around 5pm.
But it is the second car to have flipped over since the layout was installed and people in the area say it is just too dangerous.
Glenn Tweedie, who runs Premier Plumbing in Drayton Park, said: “It’s only a matter of time before someone gets killed. Every couple off weeks a car hits the kerb or has a blowout. It’s not safe and they should take it out. But they won’t because of the money they’re making.”
You may also want to watch:
The restriction was branded the worst road layout ever in Islington after the Gazette reported motorists were charged £750,000 in Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) in just two months at the end of last year.
Matthew Bull, who lives near Drayton Park, said: “I must have seen it just after the accident. I saw people climbing out of the car and everyone looked shell shocked,
- 1 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 2 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 3 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 6 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 9 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 10 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
“One wheel was crushed and the other one was still spinning.
“It is really lucky no one was serous injured. If there had been a petrol leak there could easily have been an explosion.
“I drive down that road and every day and it is so confusing - you can’t be distracted for a second. Every day I see people stop after they’ve gone the wrong way and have to back up.
“It is the worst junction in the borough and it is way too dangerous.”