Anti-racism event set for Islington
- Credit: Archant
Rally outside the town hall to raise awareness for world wide United Nations day
A anti-prejudice event is set to take place in Islington on Tuesday.
Rally Against Racism, outside Islington Town Hall, Upper Street, at 7pm, is part of the build-up to the Nations Anti-Racism Day.
Campaigners on the night, which is designed to build awareness of a central London demonstration on March 21, include Aaron Kiely, from National Union of Students, Roz Miller, from the Islington Faiths Forum, Mohammed Kozbar, from Finsbury Park Mosque and author David Rosenberg.
Mr Kiely said: “We are witnessing nationally a rise in all forms of racism, including vicious Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and immigrant-bashing.”
You may also want to watch:
“In this toxic climate of racism, we are seeing a surge in the number of racist attacks.
“Institutional racism continues to blight society; with black deaths in custody, racist stop and searches increasing and a Government counter-terrorism strategy that wrongly demonises Muslims and is ultimately counterproductive.“
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 10 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
Rally Against Racism, outside Islington Town Hall, Upper street, from 7pm on March 3.