Archway and Cally Road lit up in festive sparkle
Christmas magic came to Archway and the Caledonian Road last week as the streets were lit up in festive sparkle.
Hundreds gathered at both locations for the light switch-on celebrations to sing carols, meet Father Chrismas, sip mulled wine and nibble on warm mince pies.
Archway Island was transformed into a winter wonderland for more than 350 people on Friday, with crowds entertained with performances by local primary schools, theatre and circus skills, jazz music and roller skating dance from the High Rollaz.
The lights were switched on by eight-year-old Christmas card competition winner Zelal Kilic, from Hargrave Park Primary School in nearby Bredgar Road, with help from Cllr Jilani Chowdhury, the Mayor of Islington, and council leader Cllr Catherine West.
Cllr West said: “It was a fantastic evening and wonderful to see the whole community out together, enjoying themselves at Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
“Also, it was great to see Archway Island brought to life and hosting a community event with hundreds of residents.”
At Caledonian Road, near the junction with Bridgman Road, the street was lit up thanks to a donation from Islington Council and a campaign by traders to raise the remaining cash needed through a fundraising campaign.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
Jane Dorling, of Team Cally, said: “I’ve had people saying it was probably the best light switch on they’ve ever known. We had some great singers and there was really good atmosphere.”