Archway and Cally Road lit up in festive sparkle
Christmas magic came to Archway and the Caledonian Road last week as the streets were lit up in festive sparkle.
Hundreds gathered at both locations for the light switch-on celebrations to sing carols, meet Father Chrismas, sip mulled wine and nibble on warm mince pies.
Archway Island was transformed into a winter wonderland for more than 350 people on Friday, with crowds entertained with performances by local primary schools, theatre and circus skills, jazz music and roller skating dance from the High Rollaz.
The lights were switched on by eight-year-old Christmas card competition winner Zelal Kilic, from Hargrave Park Primary School in nearby Bredgar Road, with help from Cllr Jilani Chowdhury, the Mayor of Islington, and council leader Cllr Catherine West.
Cllr West said: “It was a fantastic evening and wonderful to see the whole community out together, enjoying themselves at Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
“Also, it was great to see Archway Island brought to life and hosting a community event with hundreds of residents.”
At Caledonian Road, near the junction with Bridgman Road, the street was lit up thanks to a donation from Islington Council and a campaign by traders to raise the remaining cash needed through a fundraising campaign.
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 6 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Jane Dorling, of Team Cally, said: “I’ve had people saying it was probably the best light switch on they’ve ever known. We had some great singers and there was really good atmosphere.”