Archway busker band win competition to record their own EP
A band from Archway were named London’s best buskers after conquering a live “busk-off” in front of shoppers.
The Guy From Archway claimed the title of best group at the Mayor of London-backed talent contest Gigs: Big Busk after performing at Westfield shopping centre in Shepherd’s Bush on Saturday.
The group, a trio led by 18-year-old singer-songwriter Guy Lederman, won the chance to record an EP in a professional studio used by the likes of Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue.
Guy, of Harberton Road, said: “I’m more used to making music in my bedroom on my computer, so I’m really looking forward to it. We’ll get to use top equipment and it will give us more of a raw feel.”
Guy, who describes the band’s sound as “21st century soul funk”, has only just finished his A-levels and plans to study creative music technology.
You may also want to watch:
His tune Summer Sun reached number 38 in the UK dance charts earlier this year.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25