Archway busker band win competition to record their own EP
A band from Archway were named London’s best buskers after conquering a live “busk-off” in front of shoppers.
The Guy From Archway claimed the title of best group at the Mayor of London-backed talent contest Gigs: Big Busk after performing at Westfield shopping centre in Shepherd’s Bush on Saturday.
The group, a trio led by 18-year-old singer-songwriter Guy Lederman, won the chance to record an EP in a professional studio used by the likes of Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue.
Guy, of Harberton Road, said: “I’m more used to making music in my bedroom on my computer, so I’m really looking forward to it. We’ll get to use top equipment and it will give us more of a raw feel.”
Guy, who describes the band’s sound as “21st century soul funk”, has only just finished his A-levels and plans to study creative music technology.
You may also want to watch:
His tune Summer Sun reached number 38 in the UK dance charts earlier this year.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing