Are Arsenal ready to spring a transfer window deadline day surprise?
Arsene Wenger has kept quiet, but may make a move before 11pm tonight after all
Arsene Wenger has not ruled out a surprise deadline-day signing before the transfer window slams shut at 11pm tonight.
The Gunners boss suggested last week that his search for a central defender was at an end, but he is believed to be looking at last-minute deals today, with a loan move a distinct possibility.
“I cannot tell you definitely [I will not sign anyone] because someone might knock at my door and say ‘I would like to play for you’ and [if] he is a good player, I would sign him.”
“But I leave these headlines to all the other clubs, at the moment no [there is no movement].”
The Roma defender Philippe Mexes and Bordeaux’s Michael Ciani were both thought to be keen on moving on loan for the rest of the season, while Wenger has also inquired over Fulham’s Brede Hangeland again, but otherwise Wenger is ready to play the remainder of the season with only three fit centre-backs.
One of them, Sebastien Squillaci, will be suspended for tomorrow’s game against Everton at the Emirates after his red card against Huddersfield yesterday, meaning Johan Djourou and Laurent Koscielny will definitely start against David Moyes’ side.
- 1 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 4 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 5 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 6 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 7 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 8 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 9 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 10 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
The Gunners are also unlikely to finalise a deal for 17-year-old Southampton starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has been in talks over a �10m switch to the Emirates.
Arsenal were thought to be keen to do the deal and then loan the player back to the League One club for the rest of the season, but will now expect to wait until the summer for a player who is also wanted by Manchester United and Liverpool.
The Gunners have confirmed that reserve team striker Gilles Sunu will join French side Lorient on loan for the rest of the season, joining his Gunners team-mate Francis Coquelin at the club who have established youth links with Arsenal since the transfer of Koscielny to the Emirates last summer.
Midfielders Craig Eastmond (Millwall) and Henri Lansbury (Norwich) have also confirmed loan moves for the rest of the season while Aaron Ramsey has joined Cardiff for a month, with striker Jay Emmanuel-Thomas also in South Wales until May and Carlos Vela joined West Bromwich Albion.