Armed police in Drayton Park taser man amid ‘crazy Wild West’ scenes
- Credit: Archant
Police armed like “paramilitaries” this afternoon tasered a man in Drayton Park, in scenes resembling the “Wild West”.
The incident, which unfolded shortly after 1pm, saw the road shut into the afternoon.
Neighbours told how a driver was "bobbing between cars" and smashing into some before armed police arrived and tasered him.
It began when police were told an hour earlier that someone had been dealing drugs from a car in nearby Roden Street, Holloway, leading to a police chase.
One witness told the Gazette: "A blue car was bobbing between cars. [He] took out a van and a car, tried to get away and reversed up the pavement, then armed police were everywhere shouting and smashing the window trying to stop him.
You may also want to watch:
"[They] tasered him. Crazy Wild West stuff - [it's] scary, really, stuff like this could be going down during the day."
Another witness, who saw the aftermath of the incident, added: "They had some guy on the ground at one point. They had machine guns near where the school is and the road was cordoned off.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
"There was maybe a dozen police cars. The squad looked like paramilitaries. It was very shocking that it was happening in broad daylight. I have never seen anything like it in this area."
The man, who also filmed the aftermath of the incident, added: "The police were quite forceful to me. They were pushing me when I was filming and didn't give me a chance to move away. I had about five guys pushing me."
A man has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop for police but no one was reported as being injured.