Armed police in Drayton Park taser man amid ‘crazy Wild West’ scenes
- Credit: Archant
Police armed like “paramilitaries” this afternoon tasered a man in Drayton Park, in scenes resembling the “Wild West”.
The incident, which unfolded shortly after 1pm, saw the road shut into the afternoon.
Neighbours told how a driver was "bobbing between cars" and smashing into some before armed police arrived and tasered him.
It began when police were told an hour earlier that someone had been dealing drugs from a car in nearby Roden Street, Holloway, leading to a police chase.
One witness told the Gazette: "A blue car was bobbing between cars. [He] took out a van and a car, tried to get away and reversed up the pavement, then armed police were everywhere shouting and smashing the window trying to stop him.
You may also want to watch:
"[They] tasered him. Crazy Wild West stuff - [it's] scary, really, stuff like this could be going down during the day."
Another witness, who saw the aftermath of the incident, added: "They had some guy on the ground at one point. They had machine guns near where the school is and the road was cordoned off.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
"There was maybe a dozen police cars. The squad looked like paramilitaries. It was very shocking that it was happening in broad daylight. I have never seen anything like it in this area."
The man, who also filmed the aftermath of the incident, added: "The police were quite forceful to me. They were pushing me when I was filming and didn't give me a chance to move away. I had about five guys pushing me."
A man has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop for police but no one was reported as being injured.