Arsenal 16th in Premier League – for affordable season tickets
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Arsenal ranks as one of the Premier League’s worst clubs for season ticket affordability, according to research.
Data from TicketGum.com found the average Islington-based Gooner would have to work 40 hours and three minutes to buy the cheapest season ticket, priced at £891.
That’s the 16th lowest in the league, and based on the average weekly Islington wage of £889.90 – though the borough is known for its huge rich/poor divide.
This season, there has been a 10 per cent reduction in Gunners season ticket prices, after Arsene Wenger’s side failed to qualify for the Champion’s League.
And an Arsenal spokesperson pointed out: “I think it is worth highlighting that in addition to all 19 home Premier League matches, our season ticket also includes the first seven home cup matches in European competitions and the Emirates FA Cup. So 26 matches in total for that price.”
You may also want to watch:
One fan, Chris Godfrey, paid £1,045 for his first season ticket ahead of the upcoming campaign. He gave up smoking so he could afford it.
“The season ticket works out at about £90 a month,” he said. “I probably spend that on smoking. I would have had to cut back somewhere anyway, so it makes sense.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
“Arsenal always has the most expensive season ticket in the land. It’s just the way football is going at the moment. But my 11-year-old self would never have forgiven me if I spurned the opportunity after being on the waiting list.”
Liverpool is worst for season ticket affordability, with the average fan having to work 48 hours and 18 minutes for a £685 season ticket. West Ham is the best, at 19 hours and 33 minutes for a £289 lowest priced ticket.
For the full table, see ticketgum.com/blog/premier-league-201718-season-ticket-affordability-league-table/