Arsenal 16th in Premier League – for affordable season tickets
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Arsenal ranks as one of the Premier League’s worst clubs for season ticket affordability, according to research.
Data from TicketGum.com found the average Islington-based Gooner would have to work 40 hours and three minutes to buy the cheapest season ticket, priced at £891.
That’s the 16th lowest in the league, and based on the average weekly Islington wage of £889.90 – though the borough is known for its huge rich/poor divide.
This season, there has been a 10 per cent reduction in Gunners season ticket prices, after Arsene Wenger’s side failed to qualify for the Champion’s League.
And an Arsenal spokesperson pointed out: “I think it is worth highlighting that in addition to all 19 home Premier League matches, our season ticket also includes the first seven home cup matches in European competitions and the Emirates FA Cup. So 26 matches in total for that price.”
You may also want to watch:
One fan, Chris Godfrey, paid £1,045 for his first season ticket ahead of the upcoming campaign. He gave up smoking so he could afford it.
“The season ticket works out at about £90 a month,” he said. “I probably spend that on smoking. I would have had to cut back somewhere anyway, so it makes sense.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
“Arsenal always has the most expensive season ticket in the land. It’s just the way football is going at the moment. But my 11-year-old self would never have forgiven me if I spurned the opportunity after being on the waiting list.”
Liverpool is worst for season ticket affordability, with the average fan having to work 48 hours and 18 minutes for a £685 season ticket. West Ham is the best, at 19 hours and 33 minutes for a £289 lowest priced ticket.
For the full table, see ticketgum.com/blog/premier-league-201718-season-ticket-affordability-league-table/