Women’s FA Cup: Arsenal 2 Lewes 0
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Arsenal Women set up an FA Cup quarter-final clash with North London rivals Tottenham Hotspur after beating Lewes 2-0 at Meadow Park on Sunday.
Second-half goals from Caitlin Foord and Danielle Van De Donk saw Joe Montemurro's side got the job done against a very well-drilled Lewes side managed by Simon Parker.
Arsenal had the first opportunity of the game on 10 minutes when Jordan Nobbs hit a powerful effort from the edge of the area just wide of the upright when it looked like Sophie Harris was beaten.
As expected it was Montemurro's side who were enjoying most of the possession and they came close nine minutes later when Australian Foord linked up well with Melissa Filis before the wind carried her effort just wide of goal.
Arsenal's two teenage sensations Filis and Ruby Grant were causing problems down the flanks, and it was Grant who was next to be involved as she linked up with Nobbs before her ball looking for Foord evaded the striker, allowing Emma Jones to clear.
You may also want to watch:
Foord was really impressing the Arsenal faithful and she had another fine opportunity to net on her debut as Grant whipped a ball into her, but she was denied after a superb block from Samantha Quayle.
On 40 minutes Arsenal thought they had taken the lead when Harris in the Lewes goal took a heavy touch allowing Foord to run in, but her sliding effort hit the post before bouncing away from danger.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
The Gunners started the second half the way they finished the first very much on top when Van De Donk ran onto a pass from Nobbs before she lashed her effort narrowly over the crossbar.
However four minutes later the deadlock was broken and it was debut delight for Foord when Van De Donk was played in on goal before her effort was saved by the legs of Harris and the ball came loose for the new signing who was on the spot to turn the ball home.
It was nearly 2-0 on the hour when Louise Quinn met a corner from the right and her goalbound header was flicked away by Rhian Cleverly on the line.
The game was then to be sealed for the Gunners in the 84th minute when Vivianne Miedema, who was summoned from the bench, took advantage of a Harris mistake and squared the ball to Dutch counterpart Van De Donk who made no mistake in slotting the ball into the empty net.
It could have been 3-0 two minutes later when fellow substitute Leah Williamson met a low Jill Roord corner but she flicked her effort wide at the near post.
Lewes then nearly had a goal back in the final minute when a free-kick was whipped in for Katie Rood who fired an effort wide of Manuela Zinsberger's upright.
Arsenal: Zinsberger, Maier, Quinn, Beattie, Schnaderbeck (Williamson 71), Roord, Nobbs, Van De Donk, Grant (Evans 65), Foord, Filis (Miedema 65). Unused subs: McCabe, Peyraud-Magnin, Dawbarn, Albuquerque.