Arsenal 3-2 Southampton: PLAYER RATINGS
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal hosted Southampton at the Emirates on Sunday afternoon. Read on for Layth Yousif’s PLAYER RATINGS
Petr Cech: 7 - Solid match but must drive him to distraction in having to work in front of such a poorly organised defence, although you could argue he should simply step up and organise them himself if Steve Bould isn’t allowed to
Hector Bellerin: 7 - Good luck to the Flying Vegan on his new diet. Not sure it can sort out his lack of positional awareness however.
Calum Chambers: 6 - Not a central defender. And certainly not a central defender in the middle of a back three.
Shkodran Mustafi: 5 - Surely one of the requirements of a central defender is being positionally aware? Doesn’t appear to be something the German has in his armoury on a regular basis.
Sead Kolasinac: 5 - Sad to see a pale shadow of such an ebullient player back in the late summer and early Autumn. The question is why? Although many will already have their own answer.
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 8 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 9 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
Mohamed Elneny: 6.5 - Does a steady job and is a competent team man. But for those of us brought up on midfield players such a Steve Williams and later David Rocastle – let alone Patrick Vieira - the big Egyptian is a disappointment in such an important position.
Granit Xhaka: 6.5 - Ditto
Alex Iwobi: 6 - Ditto. But replace midfielders for wide attackers such as Brian Marwood, Perry Groves, Anders Limpar, Marc Overmars. I could go on. Has had two years to prove himself. Simply not good enough for Arsenal. If only he could provide assists for Welbeck et al on a weekly basis.
Reiss Nelson: 6.5 - Made his first Premier League start for Arsenal in a half-empty stadium. What must he be thinking playing for such a disjointed side?
Danny Welbeck: 7.5 - Showed determination by driving inside before shooting for his goal. Made a case to be picked in Moscow after his late header won the game.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 8 – A class act. A footballing giant in a team of underachieving pygmies.
Jack Wilshere: 6 – On for Nelson: Warm applause for both – showing that Arsenal fans love one of their own
Alexandre Lacazette: 6 – On for Aubameyang with both getting a warm reception during the change
Rob Holding: 6 – The Stone Roses fan came on for Bellerin in a case as Arsene Wenger abandoned all pretence of tactical nous and simply attacked chasing Fools Gold.