Arsenal 4-1 Crystal Palace: PLAYER RATINGS
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal beat Crystal Palace at the Emirates on Saturday. Read Layth Yousif’s player ratings from the Premier League match on a bitterly cold day in North London
Petr Cech – 6: Had so little to do it’s a wonder he didn’t catch hypothermia on a bitterly raw winter’s day in North London
Laurent Koscielny (right centre-back) – 7: Made a welcome return and grabbed a goal in the process but will rarely have such an easy afternoon Wilfried Zaha and Christian Benteke misfired spectacularly
Shkodran Mustafi (centre-back) – 7: Subdued Benteke to such an extent you forgot he was there. More of the same assuredness at the heart of the Gunners defence on Wednesday against Chelsea will be welcome.
Nacho Monreal (left-centre back) – 8.5: A goal and two assists in the 34 minutes he played before being substituted for Ainsley Maitland-Niles made him Man of the Match. Let’s hope his withdrawal isn’t too serious.
You may also want to watch:
Hector Bellerin (outside right/right wing back) – 7.5: Steady from Bellerin who was able to supplement attacks with characteristic pace and verve. Not tested defensively.
Mohamed Elneny (inside left) - 7: Solid from the big Egyptian. Marshalled the rare Palace forays with an impressive concentration despite the game being won.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Jack Wilshere (defensive midfield) – 7.5: Influential without being dominant. A real talent who it is hoped will commit the best years of his career to Arsenal.
Granit Xhaka (defensive midfield) – 7: Good dead ball delivery. Lacks the defensive discipline to play as a deep-lying midfield shield but missing the dynamism and creativity to act as playmaker.
Mesut Ozil (attacking midfield) – 7: Exquisite backheel to set up Lacazette’s goal after a driving run. The powers-that-be at Arsenal need to make him sign a new contract.
Alex Iwobi (outside left/left midfield) – 6.5: Scored but never seems to offer as much of a threat as his natural talent suggests. If he can add goals to his repertoire on a consistent basis as Arsene Wenger demands perhaps we can all have a party to celebrate.
Alexandre Lacazette (centre-forward) – 7: Looks in need of a mid-season break. But won’t get one at the moment. An honest hard-working player whose goal will boost his confidence.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles (for Monreal) – 6.5: If Wenger persists in playing this talented lad out of position on the left then at least he picked up valuable experience on a quiet day.
Reiss Nelson (for Ozil) – 6.5: Huge prospect with the world at his feet. Needs to show his temperament and character match his undoubted ability. A match day to learn his trade.
Sead Kolasinac: 6.5 - Big and powerful with an attacking prowess. Has to be one of the best deals this season. And on a free.