Arsenal sign goalkeeper Fran Stenson to a long term deal
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Arsenal Women’s goalkeeper Fran Stenson has signed a new long term contract at the club.
Stenson joined the Gunners from Manchester City in August 2019 before spending the 2019-20 season on loan at FA Women’s Championship club Blackburn Rovers.
The keeper impressed for Rovers in their debut season in the Championship, helping Gemma Donnelly’s side to seventh place in the table when play was suspended and the campaign eventually cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Stenson made nine league appearances and kept clean sheets against Durham and Crystal Palace to help record the first two Championship victories for Rovers.
The England youth International, who has represented her country at under 15, 16 and 17 level, was also named as the Blackburn Rovers young player of the year
You may also want to watch:
Stenson made her professional debut in October 2017 when she came on as a second-half substitute for Ann-Katrin Berger in Birmingham City’s 2–1 win over Everton, so already has a taste of playing at the top level.
She will compete with Austrian number one Manuela Zinsberger and summer signing Lydia Williams for the number one shirt in north London.
- 1 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
“I’m so pleased to have committed my future to the club,” Stenson told Arsenal.com. “I’ve always wanted to play for Arsenal, so it’s a dream come true. I’m so happy to cement my future here.“
Manager Joe Montemurro added: “This is a really important signing for us.“We believe that Fran could be one of the best goalkeepers in England and for the national team.
“She’s an important part of our process going forward and it’s really exciting that a player of development and that level has committed herself to Arsenal.
“We’re privileged to be part of her development to become one of the best goalkeepers in the world.”