Arsenal announce Emirates Cup opponents with women’s side to take part for first time
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal have announced their opponents for the Emirates Cup this summer, with the club’s women’s side set to take part for the first time.
The revamped tournament will be a one-day only event - having previously run over two days - taking place at the Emirates on Sunday, July 28.
The day will start with Joe Montemurro's WSL winning Arsenal Women's side taking on UEFA Champions League semi-finalists Bayern Munich, with kick-off at 12.30pm.
Unai Emery's side will then face Lyon - Alexandre Lacazette's former club - in their only pre-season game at the Emirates, with kick-off at 3.15pm.
Arsenal's managing director Vinai Venkatesham said: "We're delighted to be hosting the return of the Emirates Cup in a new format in July.
You may also want to watch:
"Supporters will have the first chance to see both our women's and men's teams play at Emirates Stadium on the same day before the start of the new season.
"We are particularly thrilled that the schedule has allowed us to feature our highly successful women's team as part of this event.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
"The match will follow this summer's World Cup where many of our players will have featured and will be another indicator of the rapid growth of the women's game."
The game against Lyon adds to a busy pre-season schedule for the men's side, with an Arsenal XI taking on Boreham Wood at Meadow Park on Saturday, July 6.
The Gunners will then travel to America to face Colorado Rapids in Denver on Tuesday, July 16, before International Champions Cup games against Bayern Munich at California's Dignity Health Sports Park on July 18, AS Roma at the Bank of America Stadium on July 20, and Real Madrid at Maryland's FedExField on July 24.