Arsenal announce new signing
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal have completed the signing of Konstantinos Mavropanos from Greek Super League side PAS Giannina.
The 20-year-old centre-back arrives in North London for a fee reported to be in the region of £2m after the club announced the deal on Thursday afternoon.
It is expected that the Greek U21 international will be sent on loan to Bundesliga side Werder Bremen to gain valuable experience.
Mavropanos broke into the Giannina first-team last season and went on to make 16 appearances for the Greek Super League side. He has been the clubs second highest scorer this campaign with three goals.
An Arsenal spokesman said: “We’d like to welcome Konstantinos to the club and wish him well for the future.”
You may also want to watch:
It is believed that the Gunners new chief scout, Sven Mislintat, played a key role in securing the signature of the young central defender – ahead of 44-time Greek champions Olympiakos.
Mavropanos becomes only the second Greek player to sign for Arsenal, following the in the footsteps of Stathis Tavlaridis, who joined the Gunners from Iraklis in 2001 before making just eight appearances and departing in 2004.
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 6 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets