Arsenal announce new signing
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal have completed the signing of Konstantinos Mavropanos from Greek Super League side PAS Giannina.
The 20-year-old centre-back arrives in North London for a fee reported to be in the region of £2m after the club announced the deal on Thursday afternoon.
It is expected that the Greek U21 international will be sent on loan to Bundesliga side Werder Bremen to gain valuable experience.
Mavropanos broke into the Giannina first-team last season and went on to make 16 appearances for the Greek Super League side. He has been the clubs second highest scorer this campaign with three goals.
An Arsenal spokesman said: “We’d like to welcome Konstantinos to the club and wish him well for the future.”
You may also want to watch:
It is believed that the Gunners new chief scout, Sven Mislintat, played a key role in securing the signature of the young central defender – ahead of 44-time Greek champions Olympiakos.
Mavropanos becomes only the second Greek player to sign for Arsenal, following the in the footsteps of Stathis Tavlaridis, who joined the Gunners from Iraklis in 2001 before making just eight appearances and departing in 2004.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 7 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 8 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing